Friday, September 14, 2007

The Elusive Smile...

...if you can't photograph it, does it exist?

Ada has been incredibly giggly lately. Sometimes she looks like she's totally lost her mind with glee. I know it sounds trite and hallmark-ish to say this but watching her smile is completely amazing. There's a scene in I think a Robert Heinlein novel where an astronaut is stranded on a planet with these creatures that feed on sound. The astronaut's heartbeat is incredibly attractive to them, and he has a terrible time trying to prevent them from smothering him. One day he decides to play the creatures some Beethoven and it's so fantastic for them that they curl up and die from joy. That's kind of how I feel when she smiles at me...

Sometimes things are cheesy but true, all at the same time.

Anyway, I've been capturing this phenomenon for you all but have been spectacularly unsuccessful. Here are some of my recent attempts:

"No, I'm not going to smile at your stupid cow, even if it does go Mooooo!"

"Hey, I'm no dummy... I see you trying to take that picture. You think I'm just going to smile like you're not there? As if!"

(note: I apologize for the radical reduction in the quality of these photos... the computer camera is definitely limited)

No comments: